Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint

Sports, pop culture, and politics, Pittsburgh-style, with french fries on top.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Things I've Noticed: Toto Edition

Just heard the song "Africa" by Toto on the radio and while, yes, it is a bad/guilty-pleasure 80's song that we've heard a bajillion times, ad nauseum, may I submit that it contains possibly the greatest lyrics ever written in a song:

"I know that I must do what's right /

As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti"


Hole. Lee. Crap.

Dude used twenty-one syllables to work Kilimanjaro, Olympus, and the Serengeti into one line of a song.

One line.

What have you done today?

The song dates back to 1982 and was Toto's last hit, which makes sense. I mean, after you write that, you've pretty much blown your artistic wad, haven't you?

I'm just sayin'.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home